Monday, December 6, 2010

Went into the time machine today

Before I left for the job in Phoenix in October, I was having my best month ever so far at 25NL. I was on top of the PTR leaderboard and was simply crushing.. every play seemed automatic easy. After nearly a month off, call it rust, call it whatever.. but things just weren't the same. The game had become a chore.

So I went back to the weeks leading up to my time off and studied my stats, hands, etc and had a minor eureka moment. I had actually taken notes back then on what I was doing and thinking at the time and it made me realize I had stopped thinking about hands the same way. I had suddenly become results oriented and somewhat of a tilting calling station.

So today I went back to basics, I simply thought about ABCD as I played and focused on maximizing value. This sounds obvious right? Shouldn't I have been doing this anyways? Well I think I had become so focused on reading the players at the table, I had forgotten on playing my own cards effectively.

I have played 7k hands so far today and while the results aren't stellar.. the tilty moments seemed to have vanished. I think its mainly because I am more properly setting up better spots for myself and flying less by the seat of my pants. Choosing the correct action in relation to value and forming a plan for each hand before proceeding sure does make things easier. I am now considering different options based on board texture and opponent tendencies rather than just mindless aggression or passivity.

As for goals for the month, my plan is to grind up 100k FPPs by months end for the 1.5k bonus and then decide whether to go for SNE next year. I made all the necessary scheduling plans, I just need to make the final decision. I am actually leaning towards going for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment