Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My background

So I've decided to start this blog to focus my thoughts and chart my journey through the coming days, weeks, months, and years. I have posted an operation or two on FTR but do not feel like I have a permanent home for my thoughts such as this site affords. And without further adieu, I will begin with a brief history of my poker experience.

In the summer of 2007, I was visiting my father down in Florida and watched him play a few MTTs. As I watched over his shoulder, I instantly became hooked on the game. I had always been a gamer, playing AD&D, chess, Nintendo (the original) and any board game imaginable as a kid and continuing on into the computer world in the 90s. I sometimes played 18 hour days in high school and through college in such games as Meridian 59 and Everquest.

Too bad there wasn't internet poker back then.

Now I find myself mid 30s and with a new hobby that has provided a small side income over the past two years in the most micro of micro stakes. I now feel my poker education has progressed to the point that I can take the next step and begin looking at the game as a means for providing a serious income for myself and my family.

So I have finally taken the leap to 25NL and so far have been averaging around $24/hr with rakeback. Which is about half what I make in my real job, but is enough to open my eyes on the potential.

I play 24-tables at the time and have gotten pretty good and making solid decisions quickly. I run around 11/9/2.5 and one of my recent goals has been to get that to more like 13/11. I play on a 17" laptop and stack. I use PT3 and TableNinja. I ran about 12BB/100 in 2NL, 8BB/100 in 5NL, and 5BB/100 in 10NL. I currently run around 2.5BB/100 in 25NL. (I run bad)

My problem has been focus and discipline on putting in hands. Its easy to become complacent when you work a 50+ hour a week job and have two small children to spend time with. Sometimes I just don't feel up to playing.

So the general slant of my goals will be based on volume and getting my lazy butt to the computer for more frequent and longer sessions.

I will try to post often and throw some hands up occasionally that are interesting or give me fits.

Thanks for reading and I hope this blog is interesting enough to make people peruse it often!

No comments:

Post a Comment